Thursday, August 12, 2010

Restoring Windows XP Pro from HP Restore Plus!

True to the name of this blog, I bring perhaps the stupidest tech trick of all. Today I was forced to rebuild an HP Pro 3005 MT due to a malware infection. After booting off of the restore DVD I was presented with only Windows 7 as a restore option. Frustrated, I rebooted with the HP provided Windows XP Pro media and inserted the restore plus media when requested. This eventually worked until I was prompted to enter the serial number for XP. Needless to say the Windows 7 COA code did not work so I called HP support.

Turns out that the option to restore Windows XP was there all along but since there was no scroll slider in the window I assumed it was only allowing Windows 7 to be installed. Clicking the down arrows provided the necessary selection to install XP Professional from the restore routine which does not require serial numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment